Week 2 Blog Post
This week in Dr. Gierhart's class we talked about what the true definition of technology is, Boolean Operators, and what a 21st Century Citizen is. According to Merriam-Webster, technology is a manner of accomplishing a task especially using technical processes, methods, or knowledge. A boolean operator can help you get better search results, and also help define the set of results you want the database to show. During class, we created our own Boolean web search and I was able to get mine down to 13,300 results. In a class discussion post we ranked the six descriptors of a 21st Century Citizen. My ranking is as follows: Communicative, Skillful, Collaborative, Ethical, Resourceful, and Analytical. I chose Communicative as my first ranking because I am always using different apps on my iPhone to communicate with my friends, family, and peers. An example of a technology app I have learned how to use is a Google Website that can be shared with others.
Glad to hear that you have experience with Google Sites! We will be using that tool collaboratively as part of our Digital Citizenship presentations a bit later in the course.
ReplyDeleteHey Sammie!
ReplyDeleteI relate to using a variety of different apps on my iPhone to communicate with others. For example, my two sisters and I have a group chat on Instagram where we share posts we like.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Great job on your blogger post Sammie! I also found the Boolean operator to be very helpful in order to get more efficient search results that limit down to your main topic of search. I believe I was able to get down to nearly 60,000 results for the topic I searched which originally started at 2 million before using the boolean operators.
ReplyDeleteJocelyn Jackson
ReplyDeleteHey Sam! The Boolean operator was very useful. I did not realize how much is could narrow down our searches. I was able to get my down to about 400 with using the methods we talked about in class. Thanks for sharing.