Week 3 Blog Post


   

This week in Dr. Gierhart's class, we talked about evaluating a digital tool; Prodigy. I like the idea of Prodigy, but it would not be my first choice when teaching mathematics to my students. A con of using Prodigy is that students may not be as focused as they would be if they were to physically work out the problems, because some students are more hands on than others. A pro of using Prodigy is that students can develop more skills; such as communication and writing skills. I also learned how to annotate a video and an image file, it's pretty cool! This is a skill that I think will benefit every future teacher in the classroom.




Comments

  1. Hey, Sammy! I agree that using Prodigy would not be my first choice when teaching my students math. I like that it allows the students to compete with each other but there is also a downside to that. Like you said, students might not be as focused as they would be working the problem out by hand because they might get too focused on just playing the game. I also agree that the annotating skills we learned in class will benefit future teachers in the classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it would not be my first choice when I teach math to my students. I like how you did pros and cons of using it so it can help me. Annotating skills benefit teachers in classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi friend! I totally agree that students may not really be paying attention or understand their math work if they are not physically writing the problems down and working them out- I know I would and still do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There were some effective problem solving tools that Prodigy allows students to use, such as a scratchpad and some virtual manipulatives, but overall, I found that they were somewhat limited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sammie! I also had never annotated a video or image before. I am definitely learning a lot about technology that I was unaware of before this class. I would definitely describe myself as someone who has struggled with using technology in the past. It is cool to see that these skills don't have to be challenging, it is simply about gaining the tools you need for your tech tool box. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I also feel as if this would not be my first choice in teaching math. I personally think I would use it as an opportunity for extra practice outside of class. I think it could cause a ton of distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! Prodigy seems like a good tool to use sometimes, but I wouldn't rely on it to teach math in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment