Week 5 Blog Post
Hi friends! Welcome back to Week 5 of my blog. During class this week we talked about ISTE Student Standard and Digital Citizenship and explored Google Sites! for our Digital Citizenship project, I chose to complete my project on Digital Privacy. According to the standards from ISTE, 1.2d reads “students manage their personal data to maintain digital privacy and security and are aware of data-collection technology used to track their navigation online.” This topic grabbed my attention because I think it is important that students know that they have complete control of their decisions and their privacy. Teaching elementary students how to navigate the internet safely, along with understanding the consequences that follow poor behavior, is very important as a digital citizen. I am looking forward to weaving digital citizenship into some of my future lesson plans!
Dickenson and Snedeker talked about some very useful strategies in their article, and I do believe they are all important in their own way. In my opinion, to describe the best learning strategy, we need to be aware of which grade level we are talking about. Personally, I would use two strategies: integrated research and practice problem-solving with scenarios for grades 3rd-5th. Once the students have some background knowledge, they build their critical thinking skills and can then use scenarios to explore possible strategies to combat unsafe digital privacy.
Great point about considering the age/grade level of the students as part of how we select digital citizenship teaching and learning strategies; the ones you chose make sense and would help them build case knowledge of how to maintain their own digital privacy and safety online.
ReplyDeleteI like how you considered the age/grade level of the students. It makes sense.
ReplyDeleteGreat job on your Blogger post Samantha! I believe we are in the same Digital Citizenship project group! I can't wait to begin this project with you as you seem very knowledgeable over the topic and included many valid points over our topic of Digital Privacy.
ReplyDeleteI like the thought you put into letting children have control of their own decisions.
ReplyDelete