Week 9 Blog Post


Hi friends! This week in class we started prepping for our design process unit plan. The prompt that was assigned asked us to start thinking about different ideas and activities we have for our topic and what the students will be constructing. An idea that I had in mind is having my students create a website about their favorite type of weather. They may also keep a spreadsheet of what the weather is like each day to use as data in their website! This example came to mind, because a few semesters ago I observed a Pre-K inclusion class and their morning routine was to predict the weather for the day. I believe it is important that students are learning not only what the meat of the lesson is, but the outer rings that follow the lesson, so they are able to build from prior knowledge. I will explain to my students the importance of the outer rings, which are experiencing the new, applying creativity, conceptualizing by name, and analyzing functionally. The students can experience the new by creating a website. applying creativity by designing their own pages, conceptualizing by presenting their website to their peers, and analyzing by using the data sheets or researching information. I would also encourage them to think outside the box and never be afraid of new encounters! 



Comments

  1. The cool part of having them build up a Google Site is that they can directly embed their data from apps like Google Sheets and share them with a wider audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you have a good teacher when they encourage students to think outside the box. I also happen to be one of such students who comes up with crazy ideas. Weather prediction is such a fun topic; I wish you good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment